Thursday, May 5, 2011

Fusion Gourmet

I came to Fusion Gourmet for a light lunch and absolutely fell in love with it. Dad and I were meant to grab a quick bite seeing as I'm in the midst of exams, (I thought we were going to hit up a cha chaan teng), but we ended up here instead and to be honest, I was happy to spend the extra hour or so enjoying delicious food.

Fusion Gourmet is part restaurant, part grocery store, but considering the price of their fresh produce, I'd much rather dine in as their lunch sets are quite good value.

We ordered their portobello mushrooms to share which cost something like $60. Not bad considering if you bought their mushrooms raw in their store it'll already run you $45. The mushrooms came out looking like beef patties (made me crave a mushroom burger!) and were pretty juicy though I probably wouldn't order it again.


I opted for their 'healthy combo set' which was a big salad with soup, and 3 slices of freshly baked bread. Alternatively, you could opt for a big soup with salad - though the size of the bowls are huge and I can't imagine anyone getting through that much soup!

healthy combo set ($78)

I liked the presentation - very simple, clean and fresh. The soup was delicious - it was sweet potato that day and while it wasn't as thick as I expected, the flavour was spot on. I tend to like my soups lighter too, so this was pretty perfect. The salad was one of the best I've had in a while (besides the pesto grilled chicken salad at Oolaa which is huge and divine.) It was basically just mixed greens with delicious proscuitto (and a lot of it!), cherry tomatoes, and bacon bits. But I liked that the sauce wasn't overpowering and you could really taste how fresh everything was. The bread was also freshly baked and a perfect amount for a carb lover like me. I particularly enjoyed the walnut one, dunked in soup or enjoyed with a huge slathering of creamy butter.


My dad opted for the linguine with grilled mixed vegetables and toasted pine nuts, tossed in a pesto sauce. This was also served with a small side salad.

linguine ($128)

I took a couple bites of this and was initially surprised by how warm it was served, though the linguine was cooked al dente with a pleasantly firm texture. Thought it was a bit lacking though, I always prefer my pastas with some kind of meat!

You can add $20 for additional dessert which is always a must when the option is there :)

new york cheesecake

chestnut cake

The chestnut cake was amazing!! It was super creamy, not too heavy, and left me wanting lots more. Also helped that I thought it looked pretty stunning :) I wasn't a huge fan of the cheesecake - though it could be because I ate the chestnut one first and anything would pale in comparison ;)

This meal was absolutely worth the lost studying hours, though I should probably end this review and get back to work!


---
Fusion Gourmet
1/F, the Pemberton
22-26 Bonham Strand
Sheung Wan