Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Beijing Randoms

I've had a few people asking me about where I stay when I go to Beijing so here's a small post on the subject :)

I stayed at G Hotel on my latest trip. I love boutique hotels and this one received really favourable ratings on tripadvisor so decided to give it a go. The rooms are all designed in retro-chic style and are pretty flamboyant and over the top. They're also super big with ridiculously comfortable bed/pillow. Right around the corner is Destination - apparently the best gay club in Beijing which even houses an internet cafe for drunken chat ups. Fortunately, it's also minutes away from a whole host of clubs in the Gongti, as well as delicious Bellagio!

super comfy bed

love the sofa

and watched a lot of wimbledon on the tv :)

enjoyed the bathtub

Of course I had to check out the complimentary breakfasts! Upon being seated, we were immediately served watermelon juice (ok la) and a bread basket (stale).


There was an interesting selection of food, including Chinese bao's, sandwiches and my absolute favourite bircher muesli!! I know it should be relatively easy to make but being the lazy person I am, I'd rather just go to a restaurant and order it yet you can never seem to find it in Hong Kong :(

assortment of sandwiches and bircher muesli hiding in the background :)

Sandwiches were surprisingly good (though bottoms were a little soggy from sitting out for too long :\) Added edam cheese to make even yummier.

You can also order one dish from their "made to order" menu which consisted of a selection of Western and Asian dishes (french toast, scrambled eggs, congee etc). We got the "vegetarian" which was scrambled eggs with cheese in a croissant, and the "big breakfast" of eggs, bacon, sausage.

"vegetarian"

Baked beans and the tomato w/ pesto was yummy but the eggs made me feel really queasy afterwards. Perhaps that's to do with China-quality eggs...I've watched far too many clips of the fake cardboard eggs they manufacture!!

big breakfast

Asked for the eggs over-easy and had to send them back three times until we finally said sunny-side up was okay. Eggs also tasted off. French toast the following day fared slightly better.

I think Opposite House is still my favourite though, for decor, service, and of course breakfast food!



Like G Hotel, there's a small buffet selection (basically just breads/pastries, cold cuts, and fruit) and then you can choose anything off the a la carte menu.

from the buffet spread. i remember loving that muffin in the background

bircher muesli

Was so happy that you could order this full-size off the menu. Ate it for all 3 of my breakfasts despite the temptation of ordering waffles or eggs bene. It was that delicious, especially with the fresh fruit!

During my trip, we also made requisite visits to Hatsune (order the Clayton Roll and the South Beach Roll) and bao zi jiao zi!

hatsune

bao zi - a bit too bready

shao mai - where can you get this in hk? love!

jiao zi

Anyway, if you're planning to visit Beijing I would definitely recommend staying at a boutique hotel. Lots more fun than the international chains with many free perks (G Hotel has free wifi and bikes to borrow, Opposite House has free beer :). Service was great, location was great, rooms were huge! I miss Beijing already...

---
G Hotel
A7 Worker's Stadium
Chaoyang District

The Opposite House
No. 11, Sanlitun Road,
Chaoyang District