Friday, March 30, 2012

Memo's



The Pun really is getting quite exciting with more and more international restaurants cropping up. I've had my eye on Memo's for the past month now ever since I noticed the new restaurant front close to the Chicken Man on High Street. Their opening kept getting delayed but finally they're up and running and I had the chance to try out their dinner one Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I put off blogging about Memo's for a while now so my memory is kinda hazy on this meal. What I do remember though is that the food was pretty darn good and Elvis serenading in the background made the meal all the more enjoyable - though I'm sure some may be bothered by the cheesiness of it all :P

interior was very homey

free complimentary bread with delicious olive paste

jamon & calamari salad ($115)

This salad tasted super fresh with perfectly grilled calamari, crisp lettuce, and ripe, juicy tomatoes. The Spanish jamon was just a tad too salty for me, but would probably be perfect for cured meat lovers. I thought the portion was pretty decent for the price.

prosciutto pizza ($138)

This looked absolutely gorgeous when it came out and I couldn't wait to dig in to my favourite classic pairing of parma ham, rocket and mozzarella. They were very generous with the ingredients and the rocket perfectly balanced out the strong flavours of the ham. The only thing I thought could be improved was the pizza base which I felt was just a tad too crispy.

lasagne ($108)

This was one of their Chefs Specials and rightly so. It was cheesy, meaty, saucy - everything a good lasagne should be! I wolfed down my first portion in heaped spoonfuls and couldn't help getting more despite how stuffed I was already. It's pretty comparable to the lasagne at Grappa's which I also really enjoy, though this one was slightly more meaty with less pasta.

We didn't have room for dessert but I'd definitely like to try their tiramisu and their Croatian pancakes (the chef's mother's recipe - it's interesting that this Italian restaurant has a Croatian chef). They do lunch sets as well which change daily and are priced at $88 for a soup/salad, main and dessert of the day.

---
Memo's
#62 High Street,
Sai Ying Pun